For all the beauty addicts, here is a list of 10 affordable makeup brands you most likely didn’t know existed (or didn’t know just how awesome they really were!)
Introducing the ultimate 2014 Holiday shopping guide ! Shopping online during the holiday weekend can get a little overwhelming, especially if you are not a seasoned bargain shopper. Although Black Friday used to be a one day event, the Thanksgiving sales now span over a whole week! There are so many sales and offers going that it is hard to keep track of all of them. Many of us also make the decision to do their entire shopping online to avoid the crowds.
This year we are doing the work for you and hunting ALL the weekend ONLINE sales, coupled with the best cash back deals! This article will be updated daily with all ongoing offers, so don’t forget to bookmark it and check back next week.
As the weather is getting colder, we are all looking for affordable places to shop for Fall fashion. Are you looking for the perfect aztec cardigan, tan riding boots, or an infinity scarf ? Those 5 clothing boutiques have tons of affordable options for the trendy (but broke) fashionistas out there. Even better, most of these stores offer student discounts!
As far as shopping goes, there are few moments more thrilling than nabbing the very last one on the rack, adding that item you love to your cart when there are only 2 left, and coming home to find your package on your doorstep. If you can relate, your love of shopping probably transcends just finding clothes for the purpose of staying warm or because society tells you that you probably shouldn’t walk around naked. For those of us who love designer fashion, the recurring problem every season is how to save on the most coveted styles. Find out how to get the best deals!
One of the most exciting aspects of moving into your own dorm or apartment is being able to live life your way. If you want to transform your room into a bohemian, incensed escape than hang up those tapestries and do it up. If the classic prep style is more you, then monogram away! Because the design and decor of your space can considerably affect your mood and happiness, it would be of benefit to you to choose the colors, styles, and decor that speak to you and reflect your personal taste. Besides, who doesn’t love shopping for cool and interesting things to decorate your room with?!
1) Urban Outfitters: From glowing sunset prints to unique elephant images- UO’s bedspreads and comforters are pretty much works of art. I can’t get enough of the gorgeous artsy styles and may have to grab a couple…or 3 or 4. Especially if your room is small, a statement comforter will bring some life into the area without overcrowding it by ways of hanging too much on the walls or stifling up the limited space with extra furniture and bulky items like lamps. Besides being a top destination for stylish bedding, Urban Outfitters has a great selection of trendy room accessories like jewelry stands, wall hooks, and over-the-door organizers.
(Top: Plum & Bow Painted Hills Duvet Cover $89.00, Terry Fan For DENY Reincarnate Duvet Cover $129.00. Bottom: Magical Thinking Marble Duvet Cover $99.00, Shannon Clark For DENY Love Under The Stars Duvet Cover $129.00.)
2) Target: Affordable and cute home accessories are hard to find, but luckily Target has a variety of artwork, stylish shelving, and functional wall decor that won’t break the bank. I especially love the multifunctional wall decor options that give you the option of writing notes (reminders for yourself and your roommates!) and post things like take-out menus, lists, and photos. Mirrors can illuminate a small room, making it seem larger and brighter. If a room has no windows, a wider mirror will reflect some light from lamps and overhead lights. A floor length mirror is a must as we all need to give our outfit a once-over before leaving for the day, but you can also look into decorative mirrors that double as a statement piece for the wall.
Another tip to make a small room appear more spacious is to insure that the draperies or curtains are in the same color family as the walls to avoid contrast. Using light colors and neutrals as wall colors visually open up a room as they are space expanders and provide a neutral background for furniture and wall decor, where you can really play up the colors, prints, and textures! A college necessity is the “boyfriend pillow,” or a pillow that supports your back as you study or read on your bed, or surf Netflix.
(Top: Multifunctional Wall Decor $29.99, Threshold™ Round Tiled Mirror $29.99. Bottom: Large Corner Shelf $39.99, Textured Bedrest $42.99)
Anthropologie: Beautiful products of high-quality with a bohemian flair mixed in can be found at Anthropologie. From one of a kind items (some products are discovered by buyers at Parisian flea markets) to floaty curtains to embroidered pillows from Peru- if you are looking for amazing statement pieces that you will treasure for years, Anthropologie will have unique finds that will catch your eye. Luxe items like sheepskin pillows and silk lampshades are available, but there are also affordable options that are in line with the same contemporary trendy style. Splurging on a couple stand-out decor items can really add to the depth and interest that your room conveys, and can really be a conversation piece! If you smile every time you look at a piece of art, it may just be worth it. You don’t want the same overdone Bob Marley and Keep Calm posters that everyone has, do you?
There are many economical ways to add a luxurious, upscale touch to your place. Choose quality materials like metals over plastics (check out the bronze desk organizer below), natural fabrics over synthetics (cotton bedding and cushions instead of polyester blends), and genuine wood instead of faux materials. Instead of loading up on many cheap accessories, consider that often the overall feel can look better with fewer pieces and thus, less clutter. You can also make DIY projects that are truly special, get ideas here. The possibilities are endless as far as creating your own accessories and adding a twist to furniture. Sift through thrift stores and flea markets to find awesome home goods and deals, such as wooden furniture that you can paint and make your own.
(Top: Codify Pencil Holder $48.00, Paper Clip Letter Holder $12.00. Bottom: Flutter Pattern Rug $78, Zocalo Embroidered Quilt $198.00.)
*This is a sponsored post. All opinions are my own.
When shopping for makeup, it’s so easy to gravitate towards the pretty designer label and the luxe little box that makeup can come in. But what we really want to know is, what products are worth the price? And on what products can I take the cheaper route? Let’s break down the categories and see what’s worth the splurge and what’s not!
1) Primer: Splurge or steal! Primer creates a smooth, hydrated surface so makeup can look flawless and stay for an extended period of time. If you are just looking for a basic first step in your makeup routine then this would be a steal! e.l.f.’s $6 primer works just as well as many pricier options out there.
However, if you’re looking for something extra like sun protection, then you should splurge for a primer with SPF 15 such as the Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer, especially if you know that you won’t go through the hassle of applying sunscreen in the morning. There are tinted primers out there that have all the bells and whistles like brightening flecks, a sheer tint, and even colored primers that enhance your skin tone, like a slight green shade if you’re face tends to look pink.
2) Tinted moisturizer/foundation: Splurge! If there is one beauty product that you should shell out extra cash for, it is your tinted moisturizer or foundation because it needs to be perfectly matched with your skin tone, and pricier brands tend to have more all-encompassing shades and fade to match flawlessly. If your skin is a couple shades darker in the Summer then you should have another foundation for those tanner months! Having a quality foundation that lasts and that suits your skin type can make all the difference. I recommend Laura Mercier’s oil-free tinted moisturizer with SPF 20 for daily use and Makeup For Ever HD Invisible Cover Foundation for going out at night or special occasions.
3) Nail Polish: Steal! What you’re really paying for when you shell out extra cash for a Chanel or YSL nail polish is the brand name, which doesn’t mean prettier nails! You can get very similar colors for under a few bucks, including a glossy topcoat which will pull your nail look together. When was the last time that you used an entire bottle of nail polish? Most of us have a collection of our favorite colors and move on to the next one when we get bored…or distracted by a new nail trend like ombre nails or glitter! Nail polish is one of those things, like chap-stick, that we absolutely relish having a million of and our habit doesn’t have to break the bank because they can be so cheap!
4) Eyeliner: Splurge or steal! For an everyday subtly defined look, a cheap eyeliner will do the trick. Elf has eyeliners for just a few bucks. Some cheaper eyeliners don’t blend as easily, but you can use a eyeshadow brush to smudge the eyeliner in with some eyeshadow for a natural appearance. You will probably want a pricier eyeliner for a more dramatic look, as kohl eyeliners and similar densely pigmented types are more blendable, last longer, and give more oomf to your look. The Marc Jacobs Highliner is very popular and is $25.
5) Blush: Steal! When shopping for a great blush, you’re just looking to find a pretty color that fits in with your skin tone. Powder blushes work better on oily skin as they set better, but cream blushes tend to last longer. As long as you find a color that you like and that looks natural on you, you can save money but looking into inexpensive options. I love e.l.f’s studio HD blush, I have it in the bright pink shade “Diva” and it is so quick and easy to use, just blend a tiny bit (less than a pea size) as if it were lotion and you’ll have some cute color all day. However, if you’re looking for that perfect color that looks good from Summer to Winter and every day in between, NARS carries a blush in “orgasm” that is a cult favorite of women everywhere.
Mascara: Splurge! Every girl knows the frustration that comes with clumpy mascara, and has had to deal with spidery eyelashes because the mascara wand wasn’t able to comb out the excess. Truth is, not all mascara is made the same, and they can all create drastically different looks. Whether you want some length and definition, or noticeable volume, or if you don’t have naturally black eyelashes and need color, you can find mascaras that cater to your needs. Although a lasting, non-irritating formula is a must, the effectiveness of the mascara is in the brush. Better quality mascaras will have brushes that maximize volume, lift, and curl, and the straight-across mascara wands from the drugstore may not do the trick. Sephora offers the Lash Stash which is 11 piece mascara set so you can try out different brands to find your favorite!
This is a sponsored post. All opinions are my own.
Tommy Hilfiger’s styles for men and women are timeless. You know that they’ll be in style season after season and they’re so versatile that they can be worn with many pieces already in your wardrobe. The bright colors, preppy stripes and prints, and classic silhouettes like the trench coat can be mixed and matched in countless combinations. StudentRate always offers 7% cash back when you shop at Tommy Hilfiger, but until 9/30, you can use an exclusive promo code to get 25% off $200 or 15% off order at Tommy Hilfiger Company Store with an additional 7% cash back stacked on top!
One of Tommy Hilfiger‘s trademarks is the use of the quintessential patriotic American colors: classic red, white, and navy. The colors look great together, and the neutral elements like a tan trench or cream skirt bring out the vividness of the styles. The trench coat is the must-have item for Fall, and I love that you can dress it up and down effortlessly with just a switch of flats to heels, or from jeans to a little black dress!